Friday, March 21, 2014

What is your organizational personality?



What is your organizational personality?

I attended the Asheville PMI Chapter meeting last night and found a new way of looking at how I organize my work.

Paula McGarrell, Chief Visionary Officer of You Time Solutions, made a very entertaining and informative presentation to the Chapter. I was expecting another presentation on understanding or developing your organization’s culture, instead I ended up taking an assessment of my organizational preferences. It turns out I am visual, process at the general level, like things on paper and I am inner motivated.

I was not overly surprised by the results but now I had permission have sticky notes all over my office, draw figures on a whiteboard when I am thinking and print out documents so I can read them. The idea is NOT to organize to be more efficient but to organize in a way that makes me more efficient.

I tend to feel guilty when I print out stuff I need to read and wonder what people would think if they saw my desk. If I try to adopt someone else idea of how things need to be organized I will likely lose things and will not integrate information in a way that will be useful for me.

Something to think about when you are setting up a project. How do you organize work space to maximize the teams work efficiency, given that everyone will need work organized in a way that facilitates efficiency? For me this means I need someone on the team that organizes in more detail than is comfortable for me.

For more information check out www.youtimessolutions.com

Russ

No comments:

Post a Comment